- Also in this section...
- Message from the President
- Accreditation and Affiliations
- Grantham University Constitution
- Academic Delivery Method
- University Awards and Recognitions
- Timeline of important events
Established more than 60 years ago, Grantham University is one of the oldest accredited, private, degree-granting distance education universities in the United States. We have an extraordinary purpose: We serve those who serve and those who want to make a difference. We do so by establishing a level playing field in education for adult learners: first-generation college students, active-duty military members, veterans, those who ensure our public safety, budding entrepreneurs, all those who need a second chance, and all those who never had a first chance. Read the Grantham University Constitution in its entirety.
1951. World War II Veteran Don Grantham understood how the GI Bill of Rights and its education benefits would transform the lives of returning servicemen (and currently women and their families). Grantham founded the Grantham Radio License School in Los Angeles, California. Soon after, the name was changed to Grantham School of Electronics (GSE).
1955. The school opened sites in Washington, DC, and Hollywood, California. In the years to follow, additional campuses were opened in Seattle, Washington, and Kansas City, Missouri. At one time, GSE’s facilities also included the Grantham Electronics Institute Labs in Washington, DC; Falls Church, Virginia; and Dania, Florida. A second Los Angeles campus was established in 1974.
1961. GSE became accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the predecessor of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which had received formal recognition by the Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency in 1959. After that date, Grantham delivered accredited programs to an adult student population both in the classroom and at a distance in order to serve a geographically dispersed student body of active duty service members.
1968. The institution's name changed to Grantham College of Engineering (GCE). Throughout the following years, GCE consolidated all of its activities to one location in Los Angeles, California, that offered only distance learning programs.
1990. GCE received approval to operate and relocated to the State of Louisiana and in 1993, became licensed to operate by the Louisiana Board of Regents.
2002. GCE launched its Business School and simultaneously became Grantham University. From 2002 to 2005, Grantham expanded its online degree programs by adding the Criminal Justice program and master's degree programs.
2005. After Hurricane Katrina destroyed all but one building on the Grantham campus in Slidell, Louisiana, in August of 2005, Grantham relocated from Slidell to Kansas City, Missouri. In that same year, the Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) certified Grantham to operate in the state of Missouri. Grantham currently offers its degrees under this authority.
2009. Grantham University adapted new technology for both the student management system (Banner) and the Learning Management System (ANGEL). Talented administrative and academic staff and faculty upgraded metrics, systems, research, processes, curriculum and instruction to enhance the overall Grantham student experience. In November 2009, Grantham University received both DETC and MDHE approval to offer associate through master-level allied health degrees.
2010. Grantham received both DETC and MDHE approval to offer a RN to BSN Nursing Degree Completion Program and a Master of Science in Nursing.
2013. January of 2013 marked Grantham's 62nd anniversary for providing distance education to the adult learner.
Today. Kansas City-based Grantham University continues to be a leader in providing professionally relevant education in a convenient, affordable manner to adult learners across the globe.