The Greater Kansas City (GKC) Chapter of Blacks In Government (B.I.G.) is partnering with Grantham University to offer a full scholarship for a Grantham graduate degree program.
Application deadline: October 1, 2013
Each calendar year, one full scholarship will be awarded for the recipient to earn a graduate degree. The scholarship, valued at up to $13,100*, is inclusive of tuition, textbooks, software and fees.
Initial Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicants must meet Grantham University’s minimum admissions requirements
- Applicants must meet any special program admissions requirements
- Applicants who are current students must be in good academic standing and be free of any financial holds on their account
- Applicants must meet the criteria established by GKC BIG, which will be evaluated by GKC BIG on the following:
- Membership length of time (applicants must be either a member of GKC BIG or a spouse, son or daughter of a member)
- Membership participation at any level of BIG
- Applicant’s scholarship benefit to BIG
- Applicant’s justification of scholarship need (in essay format)
- Application deadline closes October 1, 2013
- Application materials must be submitted to GKC BIG at grantham.edu/BIG
Continuing Eligibility Requirements:
- Scholarship recipient must begin studies at Grantham University within six months following award of the scholarship
- Scholarship recipient must maintain good academic standing**
- Scholarship recipient must remain continuously enrolled**
GKC BIG will provide the University with its top three applicants, based on the criteria established by GKC BIG. The final scholarship recipient will be selected by the Grantham University Scholarship Committee based on the following criteria:
- The applicant must meet all initial eligibility requirements
- Quality of the essay
- Does the content properly address the essay question
- Organization of ideas
- Proper formatting, grammar, spelling and other writing mechanics
As a condition of accepting the scholarship, each applicant will be asked to grant permission to Grantham University to release information contained in the scholarship application to the news media in the event that he or she is awarded a scholarship. Additionally, the scholarship recipient must provide a biography and photo for use by Grantham University.
* Estimate based on current tuition rates
** As defined in the Grantham University Catalog
NOTE: The scholarship will only cover the costs of tuition for courses, textbooks, software and fees required for the recipient’s chosen degree program. Courses outside of the degree program may be taken, but at the expense of the scholarship recipient. The Grantham University Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship if there is not a qualified applicant.