This position is the primary contact for the help desk which receives, documents, and organizes new development and support requests. The Help Desk Technician performs troubleshooting and maintenance tasks for all University computers and peripheral devices. Installs, modifies, and makes minor repairs to personal computer hardware and software systems, and provides technical assistance and training to systems. This position works no more than 20 hours a week and is a temporary position.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
- Receive (via phone, email, IM, ticket, or in person), prioritizes, documents, and actively resolves user help requests. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, and require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
- Perform hardware and network connection troubleshooting and repair to include cleaning and/or replacing damaged or broken components such as hard drives, monitors, CD/DVD drives, speakers, motherboards, power supplies, mice, keyboards, ram, scanners, processors, and other peripherals.
- Maintain inventory of computer systems and various parts to include separating, testing and labeling items.
- Maintain mobile devices including provisioning, support, and inventory.
- Basic repair of printers and copy machines, coordinates service calls, and maintains supply inventory
- Coordinate warranty work for all devices under warranty.
- Install or assist other personnel in installation of hardware and peripheral components such as monitors, keyboards, printers, and disk drives on user's premises.
- Assist employees with the purchasing of new equipment and software including cost estimates.
- Load specified software packages such as operating systems, word processing, or spreadsheet programs onto client devices.
- Respond to client inquiries concerning systems operation and diagnoses system hardware, software, and operator problems.
- Instruct users in use of equipment, software, and manuals.
- Recommend or perform minor remedial actions to correct problems.
- Coordinate activities, network services, data and development, or other information systems groups to resolve system issues.
- Perform client imaging and software deployment. Maintain images and software deployment packages.
- Provide updates, status, and completion information to manager, problem request tracking system, and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail, or in-person communication.
- Prepare and deploy computer hardware for University employees
- Maintain an orderly work area and is readily accessible to others in the department.
- Collaborate with others in the IT team to deliver service requests and projects by established due dates
- Stay abreast of changes within the IT Department and the university business systems and processes
- Take advantage of all available opportunities to increase positional knowledge
- Project a professional and courteous image of the Help Desk Technician position and the IT Department to all internal and external customers.
- All other duties as assigned
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
- Completed at least one year of studies in an Information Technology/Computer Science Associates or Bachelor degree program required
- Basic experience with troubleshooting hardware and software issues required
- Basic experience with anti-virus utilities, operating system installation, disk imaging tools, application installation, browser based software as a service applications required
- Intermediate experience with Windows operating systems
- Excellent communication skills and customer service skills are required
- Able to answer frequent phone calls for long periods of time
- Able to document issues into ticketing system while on the phone with end user
- Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and by telephone) and in writing.
- Able to multi-task, yet maintain close attention to detail and timeliness of work production.
- Able to work in a positive team-oriented manner with a variety of people (students, faculty, staff, administrators, vendors, and members of the general public).
- Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented – established record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented - passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a disciplined desire to achieve the mission
- Listening Skills – must be an active listener to ensure client needs are fully understood and met
- Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success