Department: Information Systems
Location: Lenexa, KS
ScrumMaster is a project facilitator who guides cross functional teams comprised of IT staff and a Product Owner in the execution and principles of the Scrum framework. The ScrumMaster acts as a servant leader to the team, facilitating planning, team learning in the form of reviews and retrospectives, and thusly the adaptation of the process to ensure quality of team and solutions. The ScrumMaster will ensure the tracking and reporting of day to day activities as well as remove roadblocks and impediments. This is a supervisory position and is located onsite.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
- Facilitate the sizing of backlog items and estimation of tasks
- Ensure team is updating sprint backlog daily
- Track and remove impediments/roadblocks to the team
- Ensure Correctness of Burn down charts at release and sprint levels
- Present Sprint and Release progress to Management and Product Owners and ensure accountability to the process and values of agile and scrum
- Be always available to team and attuned to their needs to stay ahead of roadblocks before they form
- Schedule Scrum process meetings and ensure correct attendance
- Alert and Involve appropriate management when necessary
- Drive process improvement and keeping team accountable to improvements
- Ensure that the definition of done is established and adhered to at all levels
- Protect the team from outside interruption or distraction
- Protect the scope of an iteration so the team can commit to work and meet those commitments
- Track process improvement progress and report growth of teams
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in relevant field of study; or relevant and equivalent work experience required
- Certified ScrumMaster required, Certified Scrum Professional preferred, Certified Scrum Product Owner a plus
- Expert understanding of application development practices within an Agile development lifecycle required
- 1+ years experience working as a Developer, Tester, ScrumMaster, Product Owner, Project Manager, Business Analyst or Product Manager using Agile and/or Scrum required
- Intermediate understanding of Extreme Programming or other agile engineering practices preferred
- Intermediate understanding of higher education processes and/or relevant systems preferred
- Intermediate knowledge of the underlying principles of application development, database design, and systems administration preferred
- Able to lead without authority by building relationships
- Able to support their team and ensure their success and learning.
- Able to organize, moderate and demonstrate to wide array of audiences both internal and external to the team.
- Ensure Agile values and Scrum principles are adhered to as well as be voice of reason and authority to ensure necessary decisions are made and that actions are taken to move the team forward to their goal
- Capable of noticing differences and issues as they arise and escalate to management when necessary
- Act as a motivator to the team to encourage cross functionality
- Able to focus on continual improvement and have able to push the team to improve and step outside their comfort zone
- Facilitate discussions and act impartial to ensure all parties are heard and all solutions are explored then make balanced decisions with group input
- Able to bring disclosure and transparency to all aspects of products and solutions
- Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and by telephone) and in writing, especially with work teams.
- Able to multi-task, yet maintain close attention to detail and timeliness of work production.
- Able to work in a positive team-oriented manner with a variety of people (students, faculty, staff, administrators, vendors, and members of the general public).
- Language Skills: Able to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Able to write simple correspondence. Able to effectively present information in a one-on-one and small group situation to students, faculty, staff, and members of the general public.
- Mathematical Skill: Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute averages, ratios, percentages, and other statistical measures. Must be able to interpret graphs/charts (bar, line, pie. etc.)
- Reasoning Ability: Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to present facts to faculty for departmental response. Able to deal with a variety of information presented in oral or written formats. Able to deal with non-verbal behavior in assisting with problem resolution.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers (including the use of computer keyboards). Required to use ears/voice to talk or hear (including the use of a telephone).
- Occasionally required to walk, stand, reach with hands and arms
- May occasionally need to lift and/or move reams/boxes of printer paper weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Grantham will seek to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability. Such reasonable accommodation may take the form of making existing facilities readily accessible to or usable by individuals with a disability, restructuring jobs, modifying schedules, acquiring or modifying equipment, adjusting training materials, adjusting employment policies, and the like.
- Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented – fantastic record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented - passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a competitive disciplined execution for results
- Listening Skills – must be an active listener to insure client needs are fully understood and met
Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success