Department: Student Advising
Reports to: Student Enrollment Training Manager
Location: Lenexa, KS
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
Be a Life Changer! Grantham University is a nationally accredited online University founded in 1951 by a veteran to serve active duty and retired military service members, along with other non-traditional students. Since our move from Slidell, Louisiana, to the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area in 2005, we have grown steadily and have added jobs to the community. If you are looking for a rewarding position with an organization that allows you to positively change lives every day through the power of education, look no further than Grantham University.
The Student Advisor Trainee position requires regular contact with students in order to keep them motivated and progressing towards graduation. The position is responsible for registering students and assisting them with issues and concerns. This position may require irregular hours, including weekends and overnight.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
- Complete training phases successfully, i.e. assignments, quizzes, tests, role plays, and other exercises as assigned
- Meet attendance requirements
- Meet or exceeds registration objectives;
- Represent University fundamental principles and mission;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of maintaining contact with students throughout their degree program;
- Develop relationships and communication skills to build and manage a strong portfolio;
- Advise students on educational options based on their personal and professional interests;
- Monitor student progress and provides feedback and motivation;
- Assist students who have withdrawn or been dropped to re-register;
- Serve as a mentor to Grantham students; provides personalized assistance with goal setting, time management, academic success strategies, etc.;
- Record all relevant student information as required;
- Assist in increasing student satisfaction, student retention rates, graduation rates, and referrals;
- Communicate with University administrators, staff and instructors on behalf of students;
- Develop skills to handle up to a full portfolio;
- Meet regularly with Student Advisor Trainer, Lead Student Advisor or Manager to assess performance and areas for improvement;
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
- High school diploma or GED required, Associates or Bachelor degree preferred
- Customer service and/or sales experience preferred
- Able to work flexible work schedule to include evenings and weekends, and changes in shift based upon business needs after training is complete, required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Able to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures;
- Knowledge of programs/services available to University students;
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues;
- Strong student-centered focus; commitment to student satisfaction and success;
- Able to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions;
- Able to work effectively with diverse populations;
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures;
- Display success in a performance-driven sales environment which utilizes metrics and measurements;
- Desire to work in a progressive but competitive environment;
- Results-oriented and self-motivated person who needs little supervision in following up on assigned students;
- Understand consultative selling, uncovering buying decisions and understand customer needs;
- Experience overcoming barriers similar to those faced by the target population helpful;
- Clear ability to multi-task and learn and leverage a variety of software applications;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Language Skills Able to read, analyze, and interpret journals and documents. Able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Able to effectively present information to staff and/or students in writing and verbally. Able to speak coherently into the telephone with potential students and with staff. Able to present information using professional and grammatically correct language is required
- Mathematical Skill: Able to apply concepts such as basic math skills, fractions, and percentages is preferred
- Reasoning Ability: Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Able to present facts to management for response. Able to deal with a variety of information presented in oral or written formats.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extensively required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel (including the use of computer keyboards) and talk or hear (including the use of a telephone)
- Occasionally required to walk, stand.
- Specific vision abilities include: close vision and distance vision.
Grantham will seek to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability. Such reasonable accommodation may take the form of making existing facilities readily accessible to or usable by individuals with a disability, restructuring jobs, modifying schedules, acquiring or modifying equipment, adjusting training materials, adjusting employment policies, and the like.
- Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented – fantastic record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented - passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a competitive disciplined execution for results
- Listening Skills – must be an active listener to insure student needs are fully understood and met
- Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success