Eugene “Gene” Jewett Memorial Scholarship
In honor of the late Gene Jewett, a thought leader, early advocate of online education, and GEC board member, Grantham University is pleased to offer the Eugene “Gene” Jewett Memorial Scholarship for Business Students.
Gene believed that leveraging technology across the university enterprise would result in a high-quality college education that would be both accessible and affordable to America’s middle class, a sector he believed to be increasingly marginalized and locked out of the opportunity to earn a college degree. Gene was fond of saying that nowhere else but in America can one find legitimate opportunity for success and personal wealth creation through education, hard work and taking a bit of risk.
Gene had a long and storied career in the financial services industry and was a partner at Chesapeake Capital, LP. He was a graduate of Michigan State University where he played basketball, and at 6’8” with a great jump shot and quick reflex, later played pro ball before the NBA was formed. Additionally, Gene was a composer, poet and an author who wrote countless book reviews and articles. In his honor, Grantham University is pleased to offer this full scholarship, valued up to $39,471*, inclusive of tuition, textbooks, software and fees.
- Applicants must meet Grantham University’s minimum admissions requirements.
- Applicants must meet any special program admissions requirements.
- Applicants must be enrolled in or plan to enroll in a degree offered in the Mark Skousen School of Business.
- Applicants who are current students must be in good academic standing and be free of any financial holds on their account.
- Applicants must submit a completed scholarship application and all required materials by the published application date.
- Applicants must complete a 500-750 word essay on, “How a business degree will make a difference in my career.”
- Scholarship recipient must begin studies at Grantham University within six months following award of the scholarship.
- Scholarship recipient must maintain good academic standing.**
- Scholarship recipient must remain continuously enrolled.**
The scholarship recipient will be selected by the Grantham University Scholarship Committee based on the following criteria:
- All initial eligibility requirements met
- Quality of the essay
- Content properly addresses the essay question
- Organization of ideas
- Proper formatting, grammar, spelling and other writing mechanics
As a condition of accepting the scholarship, each applicant will be asked to grant permission to Grantham University to release information contained in the scholarship application to the news media in the event that he or she is awarded a scholarship as part of the Eugene “Gene” Jewett Memorial Scholarship for Business Students. Additionally, the scholarship recipient must provide a biography and photo for use by Grantham University. Applicants will be notified of the Scholarship Committee’s decision via email approximately 30 days after the scholarship application deadline. Following receipt of the Scholarship Committee’s decision, the chosen recipient must respond to the Committee within 30 days indicating his or her intent to accept the scholarship. Should the chosen recipient fail to timely respond to the Committee, the scholarship will be awarded to the next highest qualifying applicant.
* Estimate based on current tuition rates
**As defined in the Grantham University Catalog
NOTE: The scholarship will only cover the costs of tuition for courses, textbooks, software and fees required for the recipient’s chosen degree program. Courses outside of the degree program may be taken, but at the expense of the scholarship recipient. The Grantham University Scholarship Committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship if there is not a qualified applicant.
Applications will be accepted until November 4, 2016.