Citizen Rights

Constitution and Citizenship Day

On September 17, 1787, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention held their final meeting in Philadelphia to sign the Constitution of the United States of America. University of Arkansas Grantham celebrates this event annually on or about September 17 of each year with programming and special events. These special events are designed to inform students of the significance of the U.S. Constitution in the growth and development of the United States and to educate students about the document's significance.

Voter Registration Information

The Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) § 802 transferred to the Election Assistance Commission all the functions exercised by the Federal Election Commission under the National Voter Registration Act of 1993.

This US government website, maintained in partnership with the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, provides resources to register to vote, update your registration information due to name change or change of address and to register with a political party. It also contains rules and regulations for voter registration for each state and territory. For more information on registering to vote, contact your state election office.

Where can I register to vote?

Registration applications may be obtained from either the local election official in your county or city, or through registration outreach programs sponsored by such groups as the League of Women Voters. You can also register to vote when applying for a driver’s license or identity card at state DMV or driver’s licensing offices, state offices providing public assistance, state offices providing state-funded programs for the disabled, and at armed forces recruitment offices.

Many states also offer registration opportunities at public libraries, post offices, unemployment offices, and at public high schools and universities. Colleges, universities, and trade schools participating in federal student loan programs also offer voter registration applications to enrolled students prior to general elections. For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions about the National Mail Voter Registration Form.

US voters who are living abroad can learn more about voting while studying abroad, active in the military or overseas through absentee voting here. This website also provides the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), which allows students to register to vote and request an Absentee Ballot Request while abroad.