Events will be held November 4-12 in the Kansas City area, highlighted by a Gold Star Family scholarship award presentation at the KC Chiefs November 6th Salute to Service game, a military transition networking event on November 9, and a Flightless Honor Flight at Union Station on November 11.
Kansas City, November 2, 2016 - November 4, marks the start of Grantham University’s veterans week events. Grantham University has been a proud supporter of military service members and veterans since its founding in 1951 by WWII Veteran Donald Grantham. The university was founded on the principle of “Serving Those Who Serve®.”
Throughout 2016, Grantham University is celebrating its 65th birthday with a “Grantham Gives Back” campaign to serve the community. As part of that overall campaign, the veterans week events will take place November 4-12 around the Kansas City area with the purpose of recognizing and appreciating military veterans, active duty service members and their families.
The public is encouraged to attend events on November 9, November 11 and November 12 and to follow Grantham University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for photos, interviews and other updates throughout the week.
- Friday, November 4: Grantham Gives Back: Heart of America Stand Down for homeless vets
- Grantham University staff will volunteer at the biannual Stand Down in the Kansas City community in support of homeless veterans.
- Sunday, November 6: Kansas City Chiefs Salute to Service Day
- At this 12 p.m. game, Grantham University will award a full scholarship to a Gold Star Family member in conjunction with the Chiefs and Heroes United.
- Monday, November 7: Grantham University Veteran Employee Appreciation Day - Kick Off Donation Drive for Leavenworth Homeless Veterans
- This day will recognize Grantham University employees who are military veterans and will kick off a donation drive for Leavenworth homeless veterans and the annual Toys for Tots campaign.
- Wednesday, November 9 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Military Transition Networking Event
- Grantham University will provide helpful tips for an easier transition into the civilian job market. The event will also give attendees the opportunity to network face-to-face with career transition specialists and corporate recruiters. The event is open to the public and those that would like to attend can register at lvcareerevent.eventbrite.com. The event will take place at Stove Factory Lofts Ballroom, 402 South Second Street, Leavenworth, Kansas 66048.
- Thursday, November 10: Letters for Veterans
- Grantham University employees will write letters of thanks to veterans for Friday’s Flightless Honor Flight.
- Friday, November 11 at 3 p.m.: Flightless Honor Flight
- Grantham University is partnering with Honor Flight Network of Kansas City, Union Station and the National WWI Museum and Memorial, to hold a Flightless Honor Flight for Kansas City area veterans. The public is encouraged to attend and give the veterans a warm welcome home at 3:00 p.m. from their “flight” at Union Station. More details are available at honorflightkc.org.
- Saturday, November 12: Veterans’ Voices
- Honoring veterans empowered by the written word, this event showcases the Veterans’ Voices Writing Project, including Grantham University’s new Veterans’ Voices Writing Group. The event will take place at the National WWI Museum and Memorial. To register, go to veteransvoices.com.
About Grantham University: 2016 marks Grantham University’s 65th birthday. Established in 1951, today the University offers more than 50 online undergraduate and graduate degree programs and certificates. Grantham University is nationally recognized as one of the top military-friendly colleges in the country, and is proud to support and honor its military students, faculty and staff. Possessing a keen understanding of the challenging military lifestyle is an important part of the university’s mission to help its military veteran and active duty student population achieve their goals by earning a quality, relevant higher education.